Friday, April 5, 2013

What to do with Unwanted FB Invites?

I got a strange (I was trying to avoid irritating but I won't) and very irritating friend request in FB today.  Strange because it was out of the blue. Very unexpected.  And it was very irritating because it was unexpected.

How can someone I have already "unfriended" send me an invite again?  Worse, how can someone - who maligned you and your friends - invite you to be a friend?  For the life of me, I couldn't comprehend.  Is this her way of making amends?  Or is she being her usual, obnoxious self?

I wished there was a decline button that I could hit as many times as I dislike this person.  And I wished she would get the message that I declined every time I hit the button with gusto.  Right this very minute, I am still arguing with myself.  I wanted to send a message with the a very mean question - "Why are you inviting me to be a friend?" and with a meaner note that says - "We will never be!"

How very un-Christian of me.  And God was quick at calling my attention

I was still fuming and seething as I checked my emails.  In my Inbox was a message from Mary Rau-Foster.  Mary sends me the Monday Motivating articles every week.  This is what she had for me this week: 

"Have you had one of those days, weeks, or months when it seems that someone in your life has wronged you? Are you feeling angry and resentful as a result of a conversation or a slight by another (family, friend, co-worker, or stranger)?" 

You know my answer to that one, right?

Here's more: 

"What can you do to get beyond the feelings that are holding you prisoner and poisoning your sense of well being? The answer is simple, but not easy. It is to just GET OVER IT!

At some point you have to let it go. Stewing over the situation will do nothing other than keep you boiling mad and, ultimately, burned out.  So what are the simple, but not so easy steps?

  1. Make a decision! That is right; make a decision that you will not live your life poisoning yourself with thoughts of anger and resentment.
  2. Extract the lesson. Figure out the lesson that you can learn from this situation and then keep the lesson, but throw away the experience.
  3. Forgive - the other person and yourself! Forgiveness is the key to the handcuffs that are binding the two of you together. By forgiving or giving up the need to be angry, resentful, and feeling like a victim, you free yourself from the emotional snarls that keep you tied up in emotional knots.
  4. Get over it! This includes not discussing it with others. Every time that you do, you will have to have to return to steps 1 thru 3. Frankly, there have been situations that I found so inflammatory and hurtful that I had to repeat steps 1 thru 3 many, many times until I could let it go and get over it."
 Aha!  She got me there, alright!  

I still haven't accepted the invite. I simply hit "Not Now" (where is that decline button?).  No, seriiously, I'm happy there's no decline button.  I don't know if I'll ever get to the point of adding her (again) to my list of friends.    I need to maul over what Mary sent me.  Maul and pray.

Forgiveness doesn't come easy.  Especially if there's no love to make you forgive the other.  I've got a long way to go here.  But I'll get there somehow.  Just "not now".

Source:  www.workplaceissues.com/mmmotivator.htm
 

No comments:

Post a Comment